Thursday, September 25, 2008

Happy Anniversary "Jenmac"

So, the other day I was on one of my favorite sites, vftw, and I noticed a thread about how each of us came up with our username - mine being "Jenmac" (I'll bet you never would have guessed). Well, in 3rd grade there were 3 Jennifers in my class. Our teacher opened up a discussion saying, "Class, how can we solve this problem?" One boy pointed to Jen Johnson and said, "She's Jen-John," then pointed to me and said, "And she can be Jen-Mc." And so it began. As I explained this fascinating tale to my worster pals, I realized I've had my nickname for 25 years now. "Wow," I thought, "self, this is surely cause for a celebration." I then came to another realization. I really need to get out more. Then I remembered that gas is 4 bucks a gallon and decided to start a blog instead.

And so in honor of the quarter-century birthday of my alter-ego I have now given her a permanent place here in cyberspace and given myself a place to get back into writing. Other than writing movie and music reviews for an online news organization, I haven't done any "fun" writing at all lately. My creative writing is something I used to partake of with much fervor, but has been dying a slow death ever since motherhood and family life took the wheel and drove me off the cliff into domestic bliss.

I must warn you, my train of thought can be quite random at times, but eventually I'll get back to the point I was making. If I don't, just gently nudge me...

And now, for today's shoe...
This is the pair that started it all...
My first pair of Manolo's. They fit me to a T. They're comfy, stylish and go with anything. I've worn them to work, to the movies (on my first date with Joe), to a PTA meeting, to a neighbor's son's birthday party, to church, to the store. I love them!

Their story:
At my last job I earned nice quarterly bonuses. With my first bonus I decided I was spending part of it on something frivolous for myself. After watching WAY too many episodes of Sex and the City, I decided to see what the attraction was to this Mr. Blahnik and his wares. I searched online (we don't exactly have Manolo boutiques in Arkansas) and found these lovelies. When I got them in the mail, I shreiked with glee. At long last...I was a Manolo girl too. They fit like a glove. I damn near wore the things out that first night walking back and forth in front of the mirror. I was so pleased with my purchase, although it was probably the worst mistake I ever made in my life...and thus the addiction began...

*Stepping off my shoebox* (I find that soapboxes are awfully small these days.)
-Jenn

0 comments: